Now that fall is here, celebrate by going outside to enjoy the weather and by making hot apple cider! Here are some ways to celebrate in your homeschool, too, with these easy fall unit study ideas!
I love to celebrate our constantly changing world by creating unit studies surrounding the current season. This has the added benefit of keeping kids interested in learning and of preventing boredom. It’s fun to add in seasonal activities when you can. These might have to do with the seasons of the year, holidays, or events that are happening in the world or your community.
Easy Fall Unit Study for Homeschoolers
Use these ideas to create a unit study surrounding fall topics. Add in additional ideas that your kids love for a well-rounded fall unit study that everyone in the family will enjoy!
- Bake a pumpkin pie and discuss the science behind the process! You can find a deliciously different pumpkin pie recipe here or a recipe for No Bake Pumpkin Fluff Pie here. And you can find some information about the science behind pumpkin pie in this article.
- Create fall crayon rubbings of leaves, rocks, acorns, pine cones, and other natural objects to learn more about their shapes.
- This fall herb unit study is a fun way to learn all about herbs and which herbs naturally are produced in the fall.
- Not everyone celebrates Halloween, but even if you don’t, your kids will appreciate the gross science behind these Halloween science experiments.
- Extract color from leaves with this fall chromatography experiment. Kids will love doing this over and over again!
- There are two fun pumpkin life cycle printables you can choose from on Only Passionate Curiosity. There is an All About Pumpkins: Life Cycle Unit Study and a Pumpkin Life Cycle Mini Book.
Literature and Language Arts:
- Read books that take place during autumn. Our family loves reading Little House in the Big Woods during the fall.
- If you have preschoolers or kids in kindergarten, these upper and lowercase pumpkin-themed alphabet match cards are the perfect way to celebrate!
- Use these Create-a-Face Pumpkin Printables just for fun or as a language arts activity.
- And here is a list of 7 Must Read Harvest Books for Young Children.
Arts and Crafts:
- For art class, make these fall leaf magnets.
- Or try this fun pumpkin-related art activity–Pumpkin Pointillism: An Art Lesson in Primary Colors.
- And here’s a craft idea for a fun and Easy Decorative Pumpkin Paper Bag Craft.
- Make math more fun this fall with Pumpkin Ten Frame Addition.
- Or you may want this Apple Math: Multiply by 6 printable for children who are working to master their times tables.
More Fall Unit Study Ideas:
- Host a fall pie-making party with other homeschooling friends.
- These fall-themed printables are the perfect way to bring a bit of fall into your homeschool and learn all at the same time.
- Bring your homeschool outdoors with this fall scavenger hunt!
- Make these simple Pumpkin Bird Feeders with your kiddos and hang them out for the birds to enjoy!
- Or make this Pumpkin Spice Playdough and have your child use the printable playdough mats to practice numbers and letters!
Pick and choose from the ideas and activities we’ve listed here or make up some of your own! But no matter what you do with your children this fall, have some fun learning together!