Yearning for the educational freedom to explore your interests, talents, and passions? Oak Meadow offers experiential, progressive curriculum for kindergarten through grade 12. And each grade or course includes a teacher’s manual with 36 weekly lesson plans that cover all subject areas and include a variety of assignments, activities, readings, and supplementary activities. (Supplementary materials include things such as readers, craft books, and craft kits.)
You have two options to choose from: independent use or enrollment.
- Independent use: This option allows the student to use the curriculum at his or her own pace. The weekly lesson plan structure gives you the flexibility to adapt the curriculum according to your child’s learning style and your family’s lifestyle. The curriculum features a choice of creative, hands-on assignments that can be selected to match your child’s visual, auditory, and physical learning strengths and interests.
- Enrollment: This option allows the family/ student to set the daily and weekly schedules and submit work to the teacher every two weeks. Regular submission of work ensures that students complete courses in a timely manner, however students may work at an accelerated pace if desired. Teachers assist families in tailoring the curriculum to meet each child’s interests and needs.
The curriculum follows children’s natural developmental stages:
- Grades K-3: In these grades, the parent is the primary teacher, and the curriculum speaks to the home teacher.
- Grade 4: The transition to more independent study starts in this grade.
- Grades 5-8: In these grades and beyond, the curriculum speaks to the student, and students are encouraged to be more independent learners with parents providing support.
- Grades 9-12: Students are expected to learn and work independently with parents providing support when and if it is needed.
A few more details about experiential learning:
- Grades K-4: Because young children learn primarily through experiences such as imitation and hands-on activities, our kindergarten through fourth grade curriculum features lots of healthy activity, movement, and working with materials (mostly natural) like paints, beeswax, crayons, and clay. Some examples of such hands-on activities are baking bread, making musical instruments, and collecting rocks.
- Grades 5-8: Students at these ages develop skills in critical thinking and creative problem solving through a variety of projects, assignments, and community service learning. They participate in research assignments and extended projects, and they are asked to interpret information, form opinions, and express their thoughts clearly and cohesively. The curriculum is separated into coursebooks: English, history, science, math, and social studies.
- Grades 9-12: The Oak Meadow approach continues through high school, where academics become more rigorous and challenging. High school students are encouraged to make learning their own through electives, Advanced Placement, college level courses, dual enrollment, and life experiences (for which they can get credit) along with our advanced study program in which students create their own self-directed projects.
Our courses are also nature-based. Studies show that nature play is important for children of all ages. Oak Meadow’s curriculum supports going outside in nature to learn math, science, and language skills, and it encourages curiosity and wonder.
Our courses are interdisciplinary: This simply means that many courses combine two or more academic disciplines. For example, in 7th grade, students study classic literature in English and ancient history in social studies. These interdisciplinary classes allow students to see and learn how these different branches are related as well as to experience how they enrich each other.
For more information and a description of the curriculum for each grade, K-8, and an overview of the 36-week lesson plan, click this link and then click on the block with the grade level you’d like to learn more about. For grades 9-12, click this link.
To see samples of the lesson plans for each grade level, click this link and choose the level you’re interested in previewing.
We would also like to let you know that you can save 10% off enrollment and 15% off materials in our online Bookstore from now through Memorial Day! Just visit us at Oak Meadow for more information! Happy homeschooling!
And don’t forget to enter below for a chance to win $100 toward purchases in the Oak Meadow Bookstore!