Review Detail

4.5 26 0.5
I have used this text with 3 of my students so far. The first 2 excelled, the 3rd found the amount of vocabulary and the detailed information required on the tests somewhat overwhelming and easy to confuse.

The text is divided into 16 modules, each designed to be covered over a 2 week period. Each module contains On Your Own questions and problem sets sprinkled throughout along with the experiments for that module. These are designed to be completed as the are encountered in the chapter. Each experiment is thoroughly explained as to what should have happened and why it happened, so if you do not do the experiments you can still benefit from them.

At the end of each chapter you will find a study guide with an extensive vocabulary list and several questions on the material covered in that module. Successful completion and understanding of this material will adequately prepare the student for the test. Additional study help can be found in the back of the book in the form of a chapter summary. Chapter summaries contain matching and fill in the blank exercises. The tests are located in a separate booklet and contain a test for each module as well as quarterly tests. These are great for testing long term retention.

Overall I find this to be a very good college preparatory course. This text does not include the human body which is covered in the General Science text. I am looking forward to using this text again this fall with my 9th and 11th graders. This time it will be in a co-op setting which will give us better access to microscopes and lab equipment.

Additional help can be found in the form of study guides at Donna Young's website at http://www.donnayoung.org/apologia/biology1.htm Additionaly the author gives information in the text to contact him directly.
Grade levels used
Pros
Complete text, student focused, easy to use, college prep
Cons
can be challenging to do experiments at home
Do you recommend?
yes
PF
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments