It’s my favorite time of the year.
I love everything about it – a new school year starting (we homeschool year round, but start fresh again every fall) which means new beginnings and back to routine, the cooler weather, the bold colors in nature, apple picking, hay rides, corn mazes, and yes, even football!
And the one sure way I know that fall has arrived is when I get that first taste of fall – a sip of apple cider or a bite of apple crisp. It’s a taste I look forward to and savor!
Today I’m going to share some of that fall goodness with you–my dear Grandmother’s apple crisp recipe.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious fall treat:
4 medium baking apples
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/3 cup butter, softened
And here are the steps:
1. Put all of the ingredients, minus the apples, into a medium-sized bowl.
2. Combine ingredients. I find the best way to do this is with a knife; just keep cutting through the butter until it is all evenly mixed and looks something like this:
3. Slice your apples and peel them if you prefer; I prefer to peel them.
4. Place apple slices in a greased baking dish abut 8x8x2 in size (I used one that was 9x7x2). Then evenly sprinkle with the brown sugar mixture.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
6. Serve warm with homemade ice cream.
- 4 medium baking apples (sliced and peeled)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup oats
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- Place all ingredients (except apples) into a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine ingredients (with a knife or fork) until crumbly.
- Place peeled and sliced apples in a greased baking dish (9X7X2 or 8X8X2).
- Evenly sprinkle brown sugar mixture over apples.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with homemade ice cream!
If you can’t eat it all in one sitting, cover and refrigerate. When you are ready to dig in again, pop a serving into the microwave for about 45 seconds to warm it back up.