Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is perfect for a cold day to warm your family’s hearts. They never seem to tire of this old favorite and it’s fantastic for easing the symptoms of the common cold. This recipe is an adaptation of my grandmother’s chicken soup. She taught me how to make it when I was seventeen. She was always one for adding more taste to life!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipes
- 2-3 32oz. box(es) cans of Swanson’s chicken broth
- 3-4 carrots chopped, or ½ bag of baby carrots chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery with leaves (but not too many), chopped (This is a great way to use the center parts of celery.)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- leftover cooked chicken, cut into pieces
- 2-3 tbsp Better Than Bouillon (use less for low-salt diets)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ 12oz bag of wide egg noodles
Instructions for Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup on the Stove
- Start with 2 cans of chicken broth in crock pot on high.
- Chop celery, carrots, and onion. Add to broth.
- Add cooked or chopped chicken breast, thigh, or leg.
- Cook on high until carrots are tender. (1-3 hours. Add water or more broth if needed since some will evaporate.)
- Add bouillon granules and pepper to taste. Turn pot to low heat.
- When 1 hr or less to serving, boil noodles on stove top and add to crock pot. They will soak up some of the broth, so replace absorbed broth by adding more broth once cooked if needed.
- Serve with bread or crackers.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup in the Crock Pot
See list of ingredients above.
Gluten Free Version
Use gluten free noodles instead of egg noodles. Tinkyada brand brown rice noodles are excellent! I’ve served them many times to folks who are not gluten free, and they can’t tell the difference!
Tricks and variations:
- In a pinch or to save time, use a can of cooked carrots instead of raw carrots.
- Use 2 cups of cooked rice instead of noodles for chicken and rice soup.
- You can add your other favorite vegetables.
- For a heartier meal, thicken with flour mixture (flour and water) or cornstarch and water and serve over mashed potatoes.
- Substitute frozen dumplings or flour noodles for egg noodles.