DIY Cheese Crackers
It is surprisingly easy to make cheese crackers. My children enjoy the process (they can really get their hands into it!) and the crackers disappear almost as soon as they get out of the oven! And the smell in the house? Mmmmmmm!
Even though you can use a pastry cutter to combine the ingredients, it really is easier to just use your hands. I think your children will be happy to help with that part!
I like to roll the dough right on the baking sheet because then I don’t have to worry about transferring the dough and things falling apart. This also makes it easier if your child is in charge of making the recipe. You don’t have to just cut them in squares – be creative!
If you can keep everyone from eating all the cheese crackers right away, try serving them with alphabet soup.
If you’d like to read more of Patti’s posts, you can find her on her own site, Blossoms and Posies, and at Build a Menu.
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened and cut in pieces
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine cheese, butter, flour, salt and garlic.
- Mix the ingredients together with your hands, squishing the butter between your fingers until you have a dough in coarse crumbs (about the size of peas.)
- Add milk and form the dough into a ball.
- Lightly flour a baking sheet, or line with parchment.
- Place the dough on the baking sheet and roll out until about ⅛” thick.
- Score lines in the dough to make cracker-sized squares (a pizza cutter or pastry wheel works well for this.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (until the edges are golden.)
- Cool on the baking sheet, then break apart into crackers along the lines.
Patti Brown homeschools her three children, ages 8 to 17. Along with her daughter, Abbie, she blogs at Blossoms and Posies , a homemaking and craft site for kids and moms. Be sure to stop by to visit and let them know that you found out about them on the Hip Homeschool Moms site! You can also find Patti on the Build a Menu site, an online menu planning service.
I LOVE cheese crackers, and I can’t WAIT to make these!