Review Detail

4.5 26 0.5
General Science in 7th did not work for my oldest at all, but he asked to go back to Wile for 9th. Okay. Highschool *is* an appropriate time for learning how to cope with a textbook and learn from it at the same time. We'll give it a shot. Maybe GS should have been my clue, but he grew two years since then, and the boy ASKED for it.

By January I waved the white flag, shelved the book, and handed him a Prentice Hall textbook. He was nowhere near the halfway point and thought biology was the worst subject ever.

Now, to be fair, this particular child doesn't particularly like science in general, but it would have taken us two years to finish that book with anything resembling decent scores. It was just too much of a slog. There has to be a less wordy way to get the facts across.

Jay Wile, on the other hand, we love! He personally answered questions we had about experiments via email, and his blog is great for extra articles. I do require my children to read his Reasonable Faith book in highschool. I really *want* to enjoy his textbooks, but it's just not happening for this family.
Grade levels used
Pros
one text, written for homeschoolers
Cons
verbose
Do you recommend?
not if I can help it
K
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments